Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Once Upon a Tiger

ONCE UPON A TIGER

04/30/2005

Yesterday I made it my mission to travel to my local Apple Store in upstate New York to purchase the new 10.4 OS. I will admit that the last OS (for any platform) that I had to actually purchase (outside of something that came with hardware) was System 7. That along with the ability to determine the connection rate of a modem by listening to the carrier tones makes me and "O.G." (Original Geek or Old Geek you choose).

Upon arriving at the Apple Store in Crossgates Mall I found a scene that could have come straight out of a glam band's highlight reel. Hundreds of teens and 20 somethings waiting in line for the Apple store to open for it's 6pm launch. Being less than that emotional anymore I decided I'd let the teeny bopers kill each other over getting in first and headed upstairs to get something to eat and wait till the frenzy was over.

Belled up to the bar I ordered my usual and the bartender asked "so what are you killing time for...... a Movie or a Date?". I replied "neither of those...you wouldn't believe me if I told you". She replied, "your hear for that Apple Store stuff aren't you?". Amazed I said " yeah how'd you know?", she answered "... so is the rest of the bar..." as she motioned down the bar. Without a hitch, everyone introduced themselves. Windows administrators, Unix nerds, Band members you name it and they had it covered. The conversation got right into what we were all there for and began to take the shape of a Slashdot forum.

After finishing a few pints I headed off to make my purchase. I got on line and was soon boxed in by a musician and an artist. Both there to make the same purchase but for wildly different reasons. The conversation took us down the usual path of Windows comparisons, artistic preferences, etc. and soon it was our time to go in.

As I stood on line I began to compare this experience to the System 7 purchase. The System 7 purchase was made at a local Apple Dealer (pre, CompUSA and Apple Store for you newbies). The dealer sat between a jeweler and a dry cleaner in Latham, NY. With a store no bigger than a small storage shed. Back then all "sales people" made commission on their sales. When you entered the store back then you were attacked by personnell looking to make a buck. The only way to get rid of them back then was to ask a technical question about a piece of hardware or purchase something. There was nothing to browse in the store, no give aways, and probably no one else even in the store other than sales folks and myself. The hardware demo table was right next to the checkout, (really no different than the setup at the Apple Stores, just much smaller) and Apple Credit signs were on everything. I can remember how genuine everyone was, honest and helpfull. With a total community of probably 100 - 150 Apple II / Mac users in the area and only BBS's (no internet) we all made friends where ever we could.

As I approached the register back at the Apple Store, an associate mentioned that they had just sold their third "u-boat". And wheeled off this cart (the "u-boat" I guess) that held approx 100 copies of Tiger. I quickly asked if they were sold out and was re-assured that they "had plenty". Sure enough another "u-boat" came wheeling out of the back room and we were back in business. A swipe of the credit card and I was on my way. As I left the store an associate handed me a scratch off card which revealed that I had won a free iTunes song.

I sauntered through the Mall, looking at dozens of Apple bags, each with an owner unique as the experience. Oh what a long strange trip it has been.

Z